About free tax clinics:
Through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), community organizations host free tax clinics where volunteers file tax returns for eligible people. A free tax clinic is a place where eligible people can get their tax returns done for free. These clinics are hosted by community organizations across Canada through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program. The community organization keeps taxpayer information secure and confidential and makes sure that all volunteer registrations are approved before they start volunteering and that they provide a police records check, if needed, also the CRA operates a year-round dedicated helpline for volunteers.
There are three different types of free tax clinics.
By appointment: The individual client makes an appointment to see a volunteer and the volunteer will do your tax return during the appointment.
Virtual tax Clinic: We are able to file taxes online with the support of our team.
Drop-off and pick-up: Currently we are offering this service to select eligible long term care facilities. A volunteer will do your return and you can pick it up at a later time.
Find out if you are eligible:
You may be eligible for help at a free tax clinic if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
In general, a modest income is when you are in the first tax bracket.
Simple tax situation:
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from any of these sources:
- employment (T4)
- pension (T4-OAS, T4-CPP, T4A, RRSP, RRIF)
- benefits such as disability benefits (T4A)
- insurance, employment insurance (T4E)
- social assistance (T5007)
- investment (T3 & T5)
To avoid a future interruption in benefits, the government is encouraging seniors to submit their 2019 income information as soon as possible, and no later than Oct. 1, 2020.
Three ways to do your taxes
1. Online: Free tax software are available at www.canada.ca/netfile
2. On paper: Download a tax package at www.canada.ca/taxes-generalpackage
3. By telephone using file my return: Eligible individuals who have low income or a fixed income whose situation remain unchanged from year to year will receive an invitation to file using an automated telephone line.
We are currently not accepting any walk-ins and drop-offs. (Contact us)